These are best grilled over hot coals. If you don’t own a BBQ, these can be baked in the oven at 180C for 30-40 minutes or until tender and finished under the grill.
Prep Time 20 mins
Cook Time 1 Hour
2 Medium Sweet Potatoes, sliced in half lengthways
2 tsp Olive Oil
½ tsp salt
½ tsp Cracked Black Pepper
Beer Caramelised Onions
6 Medium Brown Onions, finely sliced (a mandolin is best)
50g Unsalted Butter
1 Shallot, diced
1 tsp Sugar
4 tbsp Cider Vinegar
2 tbsp Olive Oil
½ tsp Salt
Crème fraiche and chilli flakes to serve.
- Preheat the BBQ. Cut slashes in the cut sides of the potatoes and rub with the olive oil before sprinkling with salt and pepper.
- Lay cut side down, on the opposite side of the BBQ from the coals and cover with a lid. Allow to smoke for 1 hour before turning and cooking for 30-45 minutes more or until completely tender and smoky.
- Meanwhile place the onions and the butter in a large saucepan. Set the heat to medium and cover with a lid. Allow to cook, stirring every 5 minutes for 30-40 minutes. The onions will release their own juices and begin to caramelise. If they begin to stick, add a little of the measured beer.
- Add the beer and increase the heat. Allow to bubble and reduce for 20 minutes or so, until the beer has evaporated, and the onions are sticky. Set aside.
- For the chutney, blitz all the ingredients in a food processor until combined with some texture.
- Serve the potatoes, covered in the sticky onions, a drizzle of chutney and some crème fraiche and chilli flakes if liked.